Founded in May 2003 by James Goddard, CrunchTime Games began as a contract studio to support larger developers in specialized areas like character gameplay design, precision control implementation, and other critical game system design. The company started off with a bang landing roles on StarCraft Ghost, Marc Ecko's Getting Up and assisting on custom control and camera systems for World of WarCraft . While working on these mega profile games, CrunchTime Games quietly transformed into an independent studio and kept a low profile.
Company info: Located in a dedicated studio building on James Goddard 's 1.5 acre ranch in Chandler A rizona , CrunchTime Games Inc. is an independent developer of high intensity downloadable games for next generation console systems. CrunchTime Games is comprised of 8 team members (of which 5 are 1 st time developers) and several part time interns. Between them, the Executive management collectively has 37 years industry experience and has worked on more then 20+ games ranging from coin-op, console and PC games including the following significant titles:
- Turbo Street Fighter Hyper-Fighting (Coin-Op)
- Street Fighter Champion Edition (Coin-Op)
- Super Street Fighter II The New Challengers (Coin-Op)
- Super Street Fighter II Turbo (Coin-Op)
- Saturday Night Slam Masters (Coin-Op)
- A lien Vs. Predator (Coin-Op)
- Dungeons and Dragons: Tower of Doom (Coin-Op)
- WeaponLord ( SNES , Genesis)
- Tekken ( PS1 )
- Tekken 2 ( PS1 )
- Soul Edge/Blade ( PS1 )
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Xbox)
- Indiana Jones the Emperors Tomb (Xbox, PS2 )
- Star Wars Episode 3 (Xbox, PS2 )
- Marc Ecko's Getting Up (Xbox, PS2 , PC)
- World of WarCraft (PC)
Significant dates in CrunchTime Games rise to Independence :
- August 2005, Goddard buys 1.5 acre ranch and coverts 1200 square foot detached garage/shop into Studio Headquarters.
- November 2005, Goddard buys 2 Xbox360's and falls in love with XBLA . Starts looking for additional programming and art talent.
- In March 2006 the team at CrunchTime Games began working on the self funded prototype to pitch to Microsoft.
- October 2006, CrunchTime Games brings on private investor to help fund the project.
- January 2007, Microsoft green-lights the game for XBLA ! Self and private funding continues.
- July 2007, the company's proprietary engine dubbed the R.A.K . Engine (Roaming Arcade Killer) is running at a blistering 60FPS in all modes. 1 st time game developer and main engine programmer Christopher Rakowsky is promoted owner/partner and becomes the companies Technical Director.
- August 2007, David Winstead , another Street Fighter series alumnus joins CrunchTime Games Inc. as Executive Design Officer and owner/partner in the company. Goddard and Winstead have worked together for over 14 years prior to this doing many cutting edge action and fighting game titles.
- October 2007, the game passes XBLA Alpha milestone! The game and company remain 100% privately owned and funded.
- November 16, 2007 : The Company announces XBLA plans!